CAS TWAS SCHOLERSHIPS
CAS-TWAS President’s PhD Fellowship Program
According to an agreement between the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) for the advancement of science in developing countries, up to 200 students/scholars from all over the world will be sponsored to study in China for doctoral degrees for up to 4 years,
02-Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
03-Biological Systems and Organisms
04-Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
07-Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
According to an agreement between the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) for the advancement of science in developing countries, up to 200 students/scholars from all over the world will be sponsored to study in China for doctoral degrees for up to 4 years.
This CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Program provides students/scholars that are non-Chinese citizens an opportunity to pursue doctoral degrees at the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS), the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) or Institutes of CAS around China.
Under the terms of the CAS-TWAS agreement, travel from their home countries to China will be provided to the fellowship awardees in order to begin the fellowship in China (one trip only per student/scholar). TWAS will select 80 awardees from developing countries to support their international travel, while CAS will support the other 120. Visa fee will also be covered (once only per awardee) as a lump sum of USD 65 after all the awardees are on site in China. Any awardee on site in China, the host country, at the time of application will NOT be eligible for any travel or visa reimbursement.
Thanks to generous contribution of CAS, fellowship awardees will receive a monthly stipend (to cover accommodation and other living expenses, local travel expenses and health insurance) of RMB 7,000 or RMB 8,000 from CAS through UCAS/USTC, depending on whether he/she has passed the qualification test arranged by UCAS/USTC for all doctoral candidates after admission. All awardees will also be provided tuition and application fee waivers.
Any fellowship awardee who fails the qualification test twice will face the consequences including:
- Termination of his/her fellowship;
- Discontinuity of his/her doctoral study at CAS institutions;
- Being provided with a certificate of attendance for the period of study undertaken in China but not a formal doctoral degree.
All the procedures will adhere to UCAS/USTC regulations and rules.
The funding duration of the fellowship is up to 4 years, divided into:
- Maximum 1 year study of courses and participation in centralized training at UCAS/USTC, including 4 months compulsory courses in Chinese Language and Chinese Culture;
- Practical research and completion of degree thesis at colleges and schools of UCAS/USTC or CAS institutes.
- Applicants currently pursuing doctoral degrees at any university/institution in China are NOT eligible for this fellowship.
- Applicants CANNOT apply for both UCAS and USTC simultaneously.
- Applicants can ONLY apply to ONE supervisor from ONE institute/school at either UCAS or USTC.
- General conditions for applicants:Applicants must:
- Be maximum age of 35 years on 31 December 2017;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of his/her fellowship;
- Not hold Chinese citizenship;
- Applicants for doctoral study should also:
- Meet the admission criteria for international students of UCAS/USTC (criteria of UCAS/criteria of USTC).
- Hold a master degree before the beginning of the fall semester: 1 September, 2017.
- Provide evidence that he/she will return to their home country on completion of their studies in China according to CAS-TWAS agreement.
- Provide proof of knowledge of English or Chinese language.
STEP BY STEP GUIDELINE
In order to successfully apply for the CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship, applicants are requested to follow a few key steps that are indicated below:
1. CHECK ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
You should verify that you are eligible and meet ALL the eligibility criteria specified in the “General conditions for applicants”
ection of this call (e.g. age, master degree, etc).
2. FIND AN ELIGIBLE HOST SUPERVISOR AFFILIATED WITH COLLEGES AND SCHOOLS OF UCAS/USTC, OR CAS INSTITUTES THAT AGREES TO ACCEPT YOU.
3. FILE YOUR FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION FORM VIA THE ONLINE APPLICATION SYSTEM.
4. IN THE MEANTIME, PREPARE SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION FOR YOUR APPLICATION.
CAS is a national academic institution in China consisting of a comprehensive research and development network, a merit-based learned society and a system of higher education, focusing on natural sciences, technological sciences and high-tech innovation in China. It has 12 branches, 2 universities and more than 100 institutes with around 60,000 staff and 50,000 postgraduate students. It hosts 89 national key labs, 172 CAS key labs, 30 national engineering research centers and about 1,000 field stations throughout China. As a merit-based society, it has five academic divisions. CAS is dedicated to addressing fundamental, strategic and farsighted challenges related to the overall and long-term development of China. CAS and TWAS have had a close and productive relationship for many years, often involving TWAS’s Regional Office for East and Southeast Asia and the Pacific (http://www.twas.org.cn/twas/index.asp).
The following documents are also required:
- Notarized photocopy of the certificate of university degrees held (both undergraduate and postgraduate; graduates having just completed or about to complete their degree should provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating the expected graduation date).
- Proof of knowledge of English and/or Chinese.
- Notarized photocopy of transcripts of both undergraduate and post-graduate education.
- Complete CV with a brief introduction of research experience.
- Detailed research proposal
- Photocopy of your passport which has at least 2 years validity (only pages showing personal and validity details).
- Photocopies of all the title pages and abstracts of maximum 5 published academic papers.
- Foreigner Physical Examination Form
- Please note:
- 1. All the above supporting documentation must be in English or Chinese, otherwise notarial translations in English or Chinese are required.2. Make sure the electronic version of supporting documentation is in the right format as requested for our online application system.3. If you are awarded the fellowship, you must present the original notarized photocopy of your university certificates AND transcripts to UCAS/USTC fellowship office upon your arrival in China, otherwise you will be disqualified.4. Your application documentation will not be returned whether awarded or not
- .5. ONCE YOU HAVE FOUND A HOST SUPERVISOR THAT AGREES TO ACCEPT YOU, AND HAVE PREPARED YOUR SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION:You must:1. Upload all supporting documentation of your application via the online application system.2. Remind your supervisor to complete and upload the signed and stamped Supervisor’s Comment Page to our online application system.3. Send your supervisor an electronic copy of ALL your supporting documentations as well as the PDF file of “Application Form for CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Program” which is generated by our on line application system in ONE compressed file. Please DO NOT send any of your documentation directly to UCAS/USTC fellowship office.4. Remind your supervisor to print your documentations out, get them stamped where necessary and send them together with the signed and stamped hard copy of the “Supervisor’s Comment Page” to UCAS /USTC fellowship office before deadline.5. Remind your referees to send the original hard copies of their reference letters to UCAS/USTC fellowship office before deadline.Deadline for submitting all material and applications: 31 MARCH
UCAS is a research-intensive university with over 40,000 postgraduate students, supported by more than 100 institutes (research centers, laboratories) of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), which are located in 25 cities throughout China. Founded in 1978, it was originally named the Graduate University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, the first graduate school in China with the ratification of the State Council. UCAS is headquartered in Beijing with 4 campuses and is authorized to grant doctorate degrees in 39 primary academic disciplines, offering degree programs in ten major academic fields, including science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, education, management science and more. UCAS is responsible for the enrollment and management of the doctoral candidates of the CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme
admitted by UCAS.
Read more about UCAS: http://www.ucas.ac.cn/
USTC is the first university established by the Chinese Academy of Sciences in 1958. It is a comprehensive university including science, engineering, management and humanity science, oriented to frontier science and high technology. USTC took the lead in launching Graduate School, the School of Gifted Young, large national scientific projects, etc. It is now a prominent Chinese university and enjoys high reputation worldwide, and therefore is the member of the China 9 Consortium consisting of the top 9 universities in China (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C9_League). USTC is one of the most important innovation centers in China, and is regarded as “the Cradle of Scientific Elites”. USTC provides both undergraduate and postgraduate programs. There are 14 faculties, 27 departments, graduate school and software school on campus. According to the world acclaimed university rankings, USTC has always been ranked among the best universities in China. USTC is responsible for the enrollment and management of the doctoral candidates of the CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Program admitted by USTC.